Are you ready for a My Big Reveal of Protective Styles Past?
Yes??!!! I have dug up my photo albums to show you some of my protective styles that I have worn for special events, winter styling or just simply to take a break. You’ll see a different me in each picture, but it was also a learning process for me to see what worked for my hair and what didn’t. I currently, wear my hair natural full time and limit the protective styling.
Protective styles are great (Pros):
- Allow you to take a break from the daily styling
- Allow your natural hair to grow
- Help save you time
- Help save you money, in some cases
- Afford you the ability to try temporary hair styles and keep your look fresh and new
- Try hair color without permanently stripping and dyeing your own natural hair
I can tell you that the #1 thing that I’ve learned about protective styling is that
YOU CANNOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR NATURAL HAIR
It was my MAJOR LESSON LEARNED!
Sometimes, we get a new style that requires little styling and we’re in heaven, right?
Well, your hair underneath still requires:
- A regular cleanse (from any dirt product build up)
- Deep Conditioning
- Hair oil
- …I have to add a good massage every now and then…I know this because your hair and scalp miss that for weeks or months when you have a weave or protective styling that doesn’t allow you to get down into the roots…hence that achy feeling when it is taken out…Ay yay yay!
You know the feeling when you get that first wash after removing that Protective Style, when you are at the sink bowl and your scalp is being washed, your eyes literally roll back in your head, I know, I’ve seen you, Ha!
When you don’t give your hair this TLC and necessary nutrients your natural hair will pay the ultimate price. Have you experienced the following after removing a protective style (Cons):
- Hair Breakage/Loss
- Excessive Shedding
- Damaged Hair
- Split Ends
- In need of a drastic hair cut
At the end of the day, we all are hoping for hair growth from our protective styles, but we can’t ignore what we would give our hair if it were free, right?
Now, take a look at a few protective styles I’ve worn over the past year or two.
I love this article on wigs, click here.
What protective styles have you rocked?
Many of these styles, I give credit to Kadi’s Hair Gallery, thanks Kadi!
Thanks for subscribing to my blog!